1. Introduction to GPS L80 Easy
L80 is an ultra compact GPS POT (Patch on Top) module with an embedded 15.0 × 15.0 × 4.0mm patch antenna. This space-saving design makes L80 the perfect module for the miniature devices. Adopted by LCC package and integrated with patch antenna, L80 has exceptional performance both in acquisition and tracking.
Combining advanced AGPS called EASY™ (Embedded Assist System) and proven AlwaysLocate™ technology, L80 achieves the highest performance and fully meets the industrial standard. EASY™ technology ensures L80 can calculate and predict orbits automatically using the ephemeris data (up to 3 days) stored in internal flash memory, so L80 can fix position quickly even at indoor signal levels with low power consumption. With AlwaysLocate™ technology, L80 can adaptively adjust the on/off time to achieve balance between positioning accuracy and power consumption according to the environmental and motion conditions.
L80 supports automatic antenna switching function. It can achieve the switching between internal patch antenna and external active antenna. Moreover, it keeps positioning during the switching process.
With its tiny design, high precision and sensitivity, L80 is perfectly suitable for a broad range of M2M applications such as portable device, automotive, personal tracking, security and industrial PDA, especially suitable for special applications, like GPS mouse and OBD.
Wishing to bring the superior features of the L80 module to the user, AT-COM designs and delivers the GPS L80 Easy product to take advantage of the ability of the L80 additional features and Add-ons such as: 3V3 and 5V interfaces, steady status indicator Led, battery backup, external antenna connector. In addition to its compact size, handy data output, GPS L80 Easy will bring you the most modern and sophisticated design inspiration.
2. Design diagram of GPS L80 Easy
3. Features of GPS L80 Easy
- The power supply for the board is 3.3V and 5V is supplied from the pins 3V3, 5V, GND according to the ATCBus standard.
- The L80 module operates at a voltage range of 3 - 4.3V, with the GPS L80 Easy product, module running at 3.3V as recommended by the manufacturer to ensure stable features.
- The board used for the TXB0102DCU voltage converter IC has a voltage converter function for UART interface pins (TXD, RXD) which allows the L80 module to communicate with the 5V microcontroller. Users can choose the interface with 3V3 or 5V voltage through 0R resistor (size 0805) at I/O Level 3V3 or 5V, default when producing 0R resistor at 5V.
- The advantage of the L80 Easy GPS is the built-in Antenna on the L80 module with dimensions of 15 x 15 x 4 mm making the product compact in size.
- In addition to the integrated internal antenna, the product also has a built-in connector for the external antenna to give users the flexibility to choose the type of antenna suitable for their application.
- The switch between the internal and external antennas is fully automated and ensures that the positional coordinates are maintained thanks to the built-in L80 module's built-in conversion feature.
- Users can monitor the status of the external antenna via the GPTXT packet received through the UART set as shown below:
+ If ATNSTATUS = OPEN, the external antenna is not connected and the internal antenna is being used.
+ If ATNSTATUS = OK, the external antenna is connected and used.
+ If ATNSTATUS = SHORT, the external antenna is shorted and the internal antenna is used.
- Board has integrated Led displays the steady position: light on/off at 1 Hz when the L80 detects coordinates from the satellite and locates the position (in 3D).
- Battery back up on the circuit helps the L80 store location information and launch faster at subsequent times. Battery is a rechargeable 3.1V MS412FE-FL26E of Seiko, recharged via integrated charger on the circuit.
- GPS L80 Easy is supported ATCBus connection standard, so it is possible to pair with products that support ATCBus for GPS navigation applications.
5. Demo application
Locate coordinates and display them on Google Map